chicken pad thai + brown rice noodles (gf)
We are just moments into October and while summer has marked its exodus with the swimming pool losing its lure and the earlier sunsets I still haven’t quite let my mind shift fully into the fall spirit. Though I do have a shopping list with all the ingredients needed to whip up some gluten free pumpkin bread so I am sure I’ll be willing to abandon myself to the fall spirit pretty soon here. But not before I enjoy one of my favorite meals from this summer one last time.
Honestly, I usually shy away from making asian dishes at home because it almost never turns out nearly as good as at a restaurant but this recipe turned that thinking around for me. The Pad Thai sauce over brown rice noodles and the touch of brightness from the fresh cilantro – so so good.
Prep Time: 20 minutes Cook time: 30 minutes Yield: 4 servings
- 8 ounces brown rice pad thai noodles
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp of olive oil
- 1.5 lbs of pastured chicken breast or boneless and skinless chicken thighs, cut 1-2 inch pieces
- 1/4 cup of cilantro, washed and roughly chopped
- 4 green onions, sliced
- ½ cup cashews, lightly toasted or raw
- 3 tablespoons tamari sauce or 5 tbsp of coconut aminos
- 1 tablespoon sriracha
- juice from 2 limes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 tbsp of honey
1. Heat 1 tbsp of olive oil in a large skillet then add in your chopped chicken breast/thighs.
2. Allow your chicken to cook over medium high heat until slightly browned on the outside and cooked all the way through. This should take 15-20 minutes.
3. While the chicken is cooking prepare your pad thai sauce by whisking the tamari sauce, sriracha, lime juice, olive oil and honey together until uniform. Set aside.
4. When chicken is almost finished prepare the brown rice noodles by following the instructions on the package. (* I recommend running noodles under cold water immediately after they are finished cooking to avoid overly sticky noodles)
5. Once your chicken is cooked, crack both eggs into the skillet and stir with a spatula until the eggs are scrambled and cooked.
6. Add your brown rice noodles to the skillet with the chicken in it and give it a good stir. Pour your pad thai sauce over the noodles and chicken and stir until sauce is evenly spread through the dish.
7. Lastly, top off with chopped cilantro, sliced green onion and cashews.
adapted from Rachel Schultz