salmon + mango and avocado salsa
This is one of those meals that continually makes it’s rounds on my weekly menu. Especially when the days get longer and the sun burns hotter. The salmon is light enough to serve on a warm summer evening while the mango and avocado salsa aide in making the meal feel more substantial. The combination of the creamy avocado, sweet mango and spicy jalapeño go together so well and with such straight forwardness that it is almost impossible to mess up.
Recommended listening RIGHT HERE.
ingredients : Serves 4
- 1 lb wild salmon
- ½ tbsp of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large very ripe mango, PEELED, PITTED AND DICED
- 1 large shallot or half a red onion
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 jalapeno
- 2 medium ripe avocados
- ¼-½ cup roughly chopped cilantro (adjust to taste)
- sea salt
For the salmon:
1. Preheat the oven to 275 F. Wash and dry your salmon then place it on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Brush the top of the salmon with the ½ tbsp of olive oil.
2. Bake salmon for 15-18 minutes or until just opaque in the center. Meanwhile, prepare the mango avocado salsa.
For the salsa:
1. Finely dice the shallot/red onion then rinse and dry to remove too much of that astringent flavor if you are sensitive to that.
2. In a large bowl stir together the diced mango and lime juice.
3. Halve the jalapeño and remove half of the seeds, the more seeds you leave the spicier it will be. Finely chop the pepper and add to the mango mix.
4.Peel, pit and dice your avocados then add it to the mango mix along with the shallot, chopped cilantro and sea salt to taste. Stir gently.
5. Once salmon is finished cooking, divide it between 4 plates and top each salmon filet with the mango and avocado salsa. Enjoy!
Mango & Avocado salsa adapted from Sprouted Kitchen’s COOKBOOK.